The Panther's Paw

Spring Hill Nose Best

Laney Driggers, Staff Reporter

Should Nose Rings Be Allowed?

• Yes (61%, 44 Votes)
  • No (39%, 28 Votes)

Total Voters: 72

Loading ... Loading ...

Girls at Spring Hill High School have been encouraged to express themselves for as long as I can remember, but when it comes to nose rings the only expression is “NO”.

Society glorifies the idea of beauty and encourages her members to strive for it! At Spring Hill, we have been taught that we are all beautiful in our own unique way. We have been taught to seek an inner beauty that is not just about physical appearance, but also about appreciation of trends and truth to self. A beauty that comes from developing a style and making a statement But, the “hill” has rolled backward in this teaching when it comes to the strict dress code that prohibits these forms of self-expression. No long hair, no facial hair, no tattoos and especially, no nose rings. My issue today is with the nose rings. Well, not the rings themselves but the message that prohibition brings.  We are forced to either remove the ring or replacing it with a clear stud. In my opinion, this teaches girls, who are in the first stage of developing who they are as individuals, that they are only allowed to be who other people deem acceptable. Limiting the self-expression of a teenager, and muting their identity, is counter to the respect for uniqueness expressed by the district. Everyone understands that outward style is directly related to personal identification, and it should be encouraged rather than restrained.

Spring Hill High School is an “A” rated district, that strives to be premiere in her endeavors, and truly represents the slogan #BetterInBlue. The school board’s goal in setting a dress code is to achieve a distinguished appearance, I get it.  But, who says that nose rings are a disgrace? Bad? Spring Hill High School would gain my respect if they were to promote a message: Become uniquely individual. Be creatively different. Come on guys, there is more to this. It is as clear as the nose on your face, ring or no ring. This policy is more than just a rule, it’s a contradiction. There was once a point in time where girls who wore earrings were considered scandalous. This was because it brought attention to her face in a time when a woman was not to be seen or heard, only to cook clean and make babies. Today, that is no longer an issue, earrings are so normalized that girls’ ears are pierced before they can even walk. So why does it stop there? Logically speaking, if earrings are allowed in school, why aren’t nose rings?

If you agree with me, let’s take action. We can respectfully encourage our school board to make a change for the better.  And, Let’s don’t stop at nose rings. Boys should be allowed to grow out their hair and beards if they wish. We will respect their decision, but we won’t know until we try. #BetterinBlue

About the Writer
Laney Driggers, Yearbook Editor

Name: Laney Driggers

Grade and Graduating Year: Senior, 2019

Position on Paper: Yearbook Editor

Year's on Staff: 4

Extra Curriculars: Band,...