Schools get Report Cards Too?

Insight on the SHISD’s “A” Rating

Over the course of this school year, it’s been widely publicized that Spring Hill ISD received an “A” rating from the Texas Education Agency’s new  A-F ratings. However, many parents and students are lacking a clear understanding on what the rating actually means and what earning a high score actually means for the district.

Passed by House Bill 22, public high school districts in the state of Texas must be evaluated on an A-F rating scale based on STAAR test results, college, career, and military readiness and graduation rates. Each category is worth 40% of the total ranking. The higher score you acquire in each, the better rating you get. Along with the letter ratings, there is also a campus grading rubric which ranges from “not rated” to “met standard”. “Met standard” is the highest score possible. All Spring Hill campuses received “met standard”, contributing to the overall district rating of an “A”.

From a student’s perspective, it often seems that they are the only ones getting graded for their work. However, teachers and administrators get a “report card” as well. This TEA rating is the state’s way of evaluating how efficient the school is at delivering a quality education to all of the students. Since a large portion of the grading system is based on test results and dropout rates, it is the teacher’s job to help improve the students’ scores and motivate them to stay in school. Consequently, the report card is a reflection of the teacher and his/her teaching.

Much like how a student can be moved to “academic probation”, or even worse, removed from a school sports team or extracurricular activity for a failing grade, administrators and staff members can get reprimandation for poor grades on their “report cards” as well. If a school receives an incompetent rating, it becomes the goal of the  principal to implement programs and processes that show improvement or a penalty could result. The grading system goes both ways and to an extent- the punishments do as well.

Focusing in on the school’s in East Texas, KNUE news released a piece reporting that Spring Hill rose to the top-being one of the only local schools who received an A rating.  Both Longview ISD and Tyler ISD received a C rating.

The hard work of teachers, students, parents and administration throughout the district of Spring Hill is reflected in this year’s ratings. Without the assiduous effort and collaboration from all stakeholders, it would be impossible. Perhaps these ratings and the collaboration of home and school are the attraction to our great district. This year, we have a record high enrollment of 2000 students.