A District of Innovation and Opportunity

Advanced Manufacturing Academy to Begin September 4

Story by: Amy Blalock, Adviser

Spring Hill High School students with strong work ethic, technical skills, and a desire to connect to industry partners will have an opportunity this Fall unique to the class of 2019, thanks to the vision and hard work of Mr. Steve Snell and Mr. Rusty Robinett. Panthers will join fellow students from Longview High School and Hallsville High School to have an amazing experience that has the potential to be a pathway to a lifelong career. Students can join the East Texas Advanced Manufacturing Academy for the 2018-2019 School Year by discussing the requirements with their counselor and applying at https://etxama.org/ . Courses open for high school students next week, September 4, according to Director Jody Sanders. The academy is housed in the former Brew Honda Dealership in Longview and will offer training in precision machining technology and instrumentation along with electrical skills. The facility will be equipped with the most current machinery and technology to produce career-ready scholars including lathes, milling machines, and a brand-new state of the art ($48K) machine that will be used for instrumentation according to Longview News Journal’s Brittany Williams on August 27, 2018. Students will earn dual credit with Texas State Technical College and Kilgore College. This innovative and unique opportunity for future craftsman is offered in partnership with LEDCO (Longview Economic Development Corporation) to help fill the void with the area’s shortage of unskilled workers. Wayne Mansfield, Director of LEDCO, is hoping to attract new business to the area by providing interns that hold certifications and are trained workers ready for future employment. Remember that Panther’s Dream Big! Don’t let this opportunity pass without discussing the possibilities with your counselors.