Strong with the Shot

Coach Kerry Strong is a Spring Hill alumni from the class of 1996 and a graduate of UT Tyler from the class of 2001. Coach Strong has coached at Quitman, Ore City, Kilgore, and Big Sandy. This is Coach Strong’s first year at Spring Hill and he’s coaching junior high football, boys basketball, and girls track as well as teaching world history at the high school. Strong views his role as a coach to be, “… It is my job to have my players prepared to play their absolute best, both in the sport they play, and in the game of life.”  What better purpose to have as a coach than that one. Coach Strong noted that the driving force for his inspiration to be a coach was, “The coaches we had here at Spring Hill when I went to school. Some of the greatest men and women I know. They changed my life.” Strong told me that the best part about his job is, “Developing relationships, especially with the students. Being able to invest in someone’s life is a great gift and responsibility.” The story that Coach Strong shared with me is a funny one, “Many years ago in Quitman, we had a young man get hit pretty hard in a JH game. I think it was the first time he really hurt from a hit and he began to panic and started hyperventilating. I go out to the field and manage to get him to the sideline. He is freaking out. I told him to put his hands on his head (for no real reason other than to take his mind off his breathing). We get his breathing under control, and I go back to coaching. Several minutes pass, and Justin comes up to me on the sideline, tears in his eyes. He says, “Coach, my breathing is much better, but I can’t feel my arms”. That’s right, his hands were still on his helmet, and had fallen asleep from lack of circulation.” Every time I interview a coach I ask one simple question, what is a quote that you apply to your life, that carries a lot of weight and the coaches never fail to impress me with their responses and this time is no different. Coach Strong responded with, ‘For all have sinned, and fall short of the glory of God, and all are freely redeemed by His grace through the redemption of Christ Jesus’ Romans 3:23-24 . Coach Strong has also asked me to include this bit of information for the benefit of anyone willing to listen, “If anyone reading this does not have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, it is not too late. If you confess with your mouth, and believe in your heart he was raised from the dead you will be saved.”

The Panther's Paw • Copyright 2021 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in