Spring Hill Dominates Their Way Into District Championship Date With Bullard

Story by: Dylan Murdick, Head Newspaper Editor, Sports Editor

After a rather successful time at district play, which was capped off with a big win against Kilgore, The Spring Hill Panthers tennis team would go 4-0 during district and now have earned themselves a shot at the playoffs, as they will take on the Bullard Panthers this Tuesday, October 5. This match will take place at TJC and will be for the 16-AAAA team tennis district championship.

“I think we’ll go pretty deep. My prediction is we’ll make it to the Regional Quarter Finals, and have a tough team to face like Wills Point,” Senior varsity tennis player Zach Couch said.

The confidence is running all throughout the team this year. Their hard work and dedication throughout the summer, pre-district play and district play has all lead them to this position they are currently in.

“This team has been putting many hours to prepare for our upcoming district match against Bullard,” Senior varsity tennis player Dylan McDowell said. “And we will continue to work hard everyday at practice for regionals and etc.”

Hard work has not only been the factor that has brought this team together over the season, as the Panthers have been faced with some roadblocks and hardships this season as well. The Panthers tennis team has had many fans in their corner, but this one person was considered by many to be the Panthers number one supporter. David Penn was always there rooting for the team, unfortunately he passed away recently. However he may not be there in person, but Penn’s impact on this team will always be with them.

“It will be a little strange and a little sad being in the playoffs without Spring Hill Tennis’s number one supporter David Penn this year,” Couch said. “Mr. Penn truly loved tennis and Spring Hill High School. He gave so much to me personally and to this program over the years, but Spring Hill Tennis won’t forget him and we’ll do our best to continue the winning tradition he inspired.”

Mr. Penn will always be remembered here, as he was a great human being and a great inspiration to our team. Our thoughts and condolences go out to him and his family.

This Tuesday will provide the Panthers with a great task as they take on the Bullard Panthers. This previously mentioned game will have a district championship on the line. Both teams have had rather impressive seasons and it will all come full circle tomorrow.

“All of us in the tennis program have one common idea heading into these next few weeks, to win, we all have our eyes on the prize,” McDowell concluded.