Cardinals Beat Panthers 34-24

Photographer: Amy

Senior Eric Morrow weaves through the Cardinals defense in the first regular season game last Friday in Sabine.

Story by: Dylan Murdick, Head Newspaper Editor, Sports Editor

It was opening night for the Panthers and the Cardinals last Friday. The game would be a hard fought battle between the two teams, with each teams trading touchdowns. This would continue most of the game until the Cardinals were able to pull away and secure a 10 point victory against the Panthers. The highlight for the Panthers was Sophomore Carson Tidwell stepping in place for the injured Jax Stovall. Tidwell started at quarterback for the Panthers and played exceptionally well. He completed 11 for 23 passing and passed for 151 yards. Through these 151 yards he threw 4 touchdowns and only 1 interception. Other highlights for the Panthers came from running backs Davaunte Powers and Jordan Jones. They combined for 89 rushing yards. Brennan Ferguson had 118 receiving yards and caught 3 touchdowns. Cameron Webb led the defense with 4 tackles. Stand outs for the Cardinals were Jace Burns and Brannigan Willge as they combined for over 300 yards and caused all of Sabine’s touchdowns. With Gladewater facing a week long shutdown due to COVID-19, their much anticipated matchup with the Panthers will not happen this Friday. Spring Hill has replaced the Bears with a new opponent, as they will take on Brook Hill this Friday. Sabine will travel to West Rusk this Friday to take on the Raiders.