Making History

Club President Luke Diggins and Sponsor Jacob Young exchange blows at the sword fighting 101 History Club meeting.

Photographer: Owen Tipton

Last summer, Sophomore Luke Diggins worked in conversation through email with Principal Rusty Robinette and Teacher Jacob Young to start Spring Hill’s History Club. 

“I asked Mr. Robinett what I should do to start it, and he said I needed a constitution and a Sponsor, so I outlined the constitution and asked Mr. Young to sponsor,” Diggins said. “Then we promoted it when school started.”

Sophomore Alec Roland and Sponsor Jacob Young practice ancient sword fighting techniques in History Club. (Photographer: Owen Tipton)

The point of the club is to take important history and make it enjoyable to learn. It has become the fastest-growing club in Spring Hill.

“We dive into things that a teacher wouldn’t necessarily have room to cover in class. History is full of weird, fantastic and wild stories and facts and that’s what we cover,” Sponsor Jacob Young said. “The students have really pushed themselves with creativity.”

The students engage in a variety of activities that are both educational and fun. From sword fighting to Kahoot games to movie nights, the History Club is always doing exciting things.

The History Club members watch a video in class to prepare for an activity. (Photographer: Owen Tipton)

“We’ve had movie nights, trivia nights, and we’re about to start playing history-based video games and rate them on the accuracy,” Vice President Davion Simpson said. “We’ve even had a sword fighting 101.”

Being a part of any club gives students a sense of pride, and the History Club is a great one to try out if you don’t know where to start. It’s fun and has a welcoming group of students who would love for you to join them.

“I wanted to be a part of something, and the History Club has turned out very well,” Diggins said. “It’s great for anyone wanting to get connected with their school and their fellow students.”