Another “Plug” for CTE

Electrical Technologies classes added Fall 2020

Tim+Marshall+stands+in+the+housing+frame+model+used+for+wiring+in+the+Industrial+Arts+building+on+SHHS+campus.+

Photographer: Amy Blalock

Tim Marshall stands in the housing frame model used for wiring in the Industrial Arts building on SHHS campus.

Be Prepared. Not just the motto for the Boy Scouts of America, but also for the Career and Technology Education Department at SHHS. Course offerings are constantly changing to adapt to the changing needs of this community in regards to market needs to make sure that every Panther walks across the stage college and/or career ready by offering Dual Credit with local colleges, Industry-Based Certifications, and real work experience so that students can go straight from high school into high skill, high wage, and high demand jobs. One such need area in East Texas is in the Electrical Trade. SHISD has responded to that need with an Electrical Technology Pathway taught by Mr. Tim Marshall, new to SHISD this year. Marshall also coaches baseball in addition to teaching CTE courses.
“My goal is to get kids ready to go out into the world and get a job,” Tim Marshall said. “ I worked in this field for over 10 years. I know marketable skills and am ready to hand them on.”
Spring Hill is committed to working with the Longview Economic Development Committee (LEDCO) and other industry partners to provide students with project-based learning, facility tours, job shadowing, career development, and real-life experiences.
“We’re trying to work out a system where the kids can take this course, and then go work for local community partners,” Marshal said. “Let’s say they’re juniors and they will be entering phase two of coursework as seniors, then they can work during the summer to see if they even like it. It is job exploration as well as preparation.”
According to Marshall, students in Electrical Technology learn the skills needed to enter the workforce as an electrician or building maintenance supervisor, prepare for a postsecondary degree in a specified field of construction or construction management, or pursue an approved apprenticeship program.
“This class gets them ready not only for work but also to be a good homeowner and fix-it person around the house,” Marshall added. “They learn anything from new construction schematics and wiring to fixing a plug in their home to working for Swepco.”
Students are taught safety, electrical theory, tools, codes, installation of electrical equipment, and the reading of electrical drawings, schematics, and specifications.
“The kids are so diligent about following the safety protocols,” Marshall boasted. “I am proud of how seriously they are taking this class and safety.”
There are a variety of possible careers in this field including Chief Electrician, Control Electrician, Electrician, Industrial Electrician, Inside Wireman, Journeyman Electrician, Journeyman Wireman, Maintenance Electrician, and mechanical Trades Specialist to name a few.
“After this class kids can go on an interview and say, Hey, I took two years of electrical technology. You know I had this kind of experience. “, Marshall added. “That’s cool that what we are teaching can benefit them,”