Corona Virus Updates

Yes, It is still a thing

See more from Mrs. Blalock
Amy Blalock

More stories from Amy Blalock

Welcome Home Panthers
August 12, 2020

According to some infectious disease experts, the Corona virus was likely already spreading before cities started to lock down and put social distancing orders in place last March. This leaves many Panthers wondering “Did I have a bad cold or was it COVID-19?” 

“As the weeks progress, it’s become evident that this is a virus that was widespread throughout our country, particularly in more populated areas, sooner than we thought,” says William Schaffner, M.D., an infectious disease specialist and professor at the Vanderbilt University School of Medicine in an interview with Good Housekeeping magazine. 

So, could you have had COVID-19 without realizing it? It’s possible. Unfortunately, there’s no way to know with 100% certainty if that illness you dealt with last winter was COVID-19 or if you happened to pick up an asymptomatic case at some time. The real question is what does this mean in regard to immunity and spread?

Even if you did have COVID-19 in the past, that doesn’t necessarily mean you won’t get infected again. The CDC specifically states that it’s unclear at this time if people can be re-infected with the virus—and the first case of reinfection was confirmed in Hong Kong on August 30, 2020 according to infectious disease expert Amesh A. Adalja, M.D., senior scholar at the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security. 

So, even if you suspect you contracted COVID-19 before the pandemic really hit, SHISD is committed to providing the safest environment possible with a mitigation plan that stresses the importance of the continuation of prevention methods like wearing a mask, washing your hands regularly, and practicing social distancing. Students and faculty continue to wear masks at all times when in SHISD buildings, with the exception of lunch and outdoor “mask” breaks. Lunch tables have been rearranged at the High School to allow for 6 feet of distance between students. If a student or teacher does become ill or tests positive for the virus, school health expert Jaymie Walton will evaluate and trace the exposure and notify all parties on a need to know basis.