Old Friends Meet Again

The 2020 school year is full of doubts and questions. But, one thing is certain.  The Career and Technology Education Department at Spring Hill High School is in full growth mode. The department, under the leadership of Assistant Superintendent Adrian Knight, is adding new programs and expanding existing programs to provide opportunities for each and every Panther seeking career readiness, especially in regard to technology.

Principles of Information Technology is one such class.  Offered in years past under the leadership of Guy Fuller, the class establishes an awareness of the roles essential to an organization’s success and then teaches students to work to develop an understanding of professional communications and leadership skills. Fuller retired in 2019 and the class retired with him. Other courses address similar learning objectives and there was no need to continue the offering.

White explains the value of digital citizenship to PIT students on September 3.

However, Principles of Information Technology also prepares students to succeed in the workplace. Tony White, resident Google Expert and Technolgy Specialist for the district said that students gain proficiency with word processing, email, and presentation management software. Students will also be able to demonstrate digital literacy through the basic study of computer hardware, operating systems, networking, the Internet, web publishing, spreadsheets, and database software. Mr. White added that the growing needs of technology in the light of virtual learning and the acquisition of Chromebooks for all students, made the district rethink this decision and ask him to take the lead.

“I thought it would  be fun to get back in the classroom,” teacher Tony White said, “They wanted to offer some more CTE classes and asked if I could teach it, so I said yes.”

White added that this course allows students to explore careers in information technology and business. But, most importantly, it allows for hands-on activities to create, analyze, and apply skills that employers expect in the field of Information Technology.

“The class is similar to Business Information Management, or B.I.M., taught by Connie White,” White added. “The big difference is that P.I.T.focuses more on the G-Suite products. So we assure you that if you took both, it would not be repetitive.”

Students are thrilled to not only get the opportunity to add more certifications and skills to their resume but also to work and learn from Mr. White.

“I chose this class because I like technical stuff,” Junior Brody Turner said.  “I like being able to use a computer and know what I’m doing. And Mr. White is cool.” 

Some students see the class as a stepping stone for the future.

“This class will be very beneficial for my future,” Junior Ethan Miller said. “Especially when I go into the technology field in the Air Force.” 

Photographer: Abigail Wallace