David Cook: Designed for Success

Cooks receives 2 accolades for his design work

Senior David Cook is the man behind the camera.  He is most known around SHHS for his constant presence on the sidelines at Panther Stadium filming game day footage. But, his skills in videography carry far beyond the field. In January, Cook entered the Better Business Bureau’s  Student Video Contest. This is an interactive competition among high school students from any of the 19 counties which BBB serving Central East Texas serves. Cook had 4 weeks to create, post, and market his video. Cook received 2nd place for the marketing aspect of the contest receiving 5,924 votes.

“We voted ourselves and shared the links with friends and family,” David Cook said on Monday, May 18th when he received the check from Coleman Swierc, communications manager from the East Texas Better Business Bureau. “It was crazy. I would be ahead, then the others would catch up. ”

The marketing was only one aspect of the competition. According to Swierc a panel of experts in the field also evaluated the quality of the productions to make the final awards decisions.

“David’s video was very creative,” Swierc said. “It was a stand out in production quality, sound, and stayed with the theme.”

The BBB is a nonprofit, business-supported organization that sets and upholds high standards for fair and honest business behavior. The video had to exemplify that mission.

“My video illustrates the importance of choosing the right company,” Cook said. “If you chose an off-brand or a cheaper company, you may not get the quality work that you expect and need. This video was created to show why the Better Business Bureau can be trusted and why they are the #1 choice.”

click here to see the video

Cook also received an honor for his graphic design from the Longview Fire Department.  According to Laura Jordan, prior to school closure due to COVID-19, her Digital Media students participated in a logo contest sponsored by Station 4 of the Longview Fire Department.

Cook, along with Owen Tipton and Grant Yanes, partnered to create the winning logo. The logo design is enclosed in a maltese cross, includes a Spring Hill Panther, the station number, a shamrock, and the Texas flag. The logo will be featured on the Station 4 fire engine and on various other signage and clothing. On May 12, Station 4 firemen and Mrs. Jordan made personal visits in the Station 4 fire engine to the homes of the three winners.

<script>