Panthers rally past foxes 23-12, Prepared and ready for second round

Story by: Dylan Murdick, Head Newspaper Editor, Sports Editor

The scene is set, Van Texas, Friday, November 15th. The Spring Hill Panthers are in the playoffs for the first time since 2007. They are taking on a hungry challenger in the Caddo Mills foxes. However the Panthers did not back down and came out to win. Led by Freshman Davaunte Powers, who racked up 109 yards and 2 touchdowns, Spring Hill rolled their way to a 23-12 victory, and Class 4A, Division 2 bi-district trophy as well. Not only was this the Panthers first playoff berth since 2007, this was also their first playoff win since a 58-28 win against the Van Vandals in 2004. The Spring Hill special teams unit was on point, with a recovered onside kick, and an amazing kick from Jose Delacruz from 37 yards out that would give the Panthers a 16-6 lead with 10:22 left in regulation. A rather controversial call, came after a Zach Henry scoop and score was called back. The call was not met with a happy reception from the Panthers faithful. This would’ve put the Panthers up by 16. However the Foxes took advantage and drove down the field and scored. Trailing only by 4 now, at 16-12. However from here on out it was all Spring Hill. Finishing off a rather dramatic and intense game, with a 23-12 victory. The Panthers have had their time to celebrate, but now they look to lock in and prepare for round 2. The Panthers look to get all the pieces together and go out and play the Waco Connally Cadets (11-0), who are ranked 2nd overall in state.