No More Sunsets For The Panthers

UIL regulations caused a change in practice time.

September 11, 2019

Summer, a time when you can play football from sunrise to sunset. But not anymore thanks to the UIL regulations about practice time. Springhill panthers change their two-a-day practices August 5, at Panther Stadium. UIL has added an acclimation period so that athletes are able to acclimate to the extreme heat of East Texas. To learn more about these regulations, go here: https://www.uiltexas.org/files/athletics/Fall_Football_Practice_Regulations.pdf

“I think coaches are competitive by nature,” Athletic Director Jonny Louvier said. “That they sometimes would just go overboard and it is something that needs to be regulated.”

Two a days are crucial to a football team because they can practice without the stress of a game at the end of the week weighing upon them. Thus allowing practice to be more enjoyable and entertaining for the players. According to most coaches at Spring Hill High School two a days are vital to a successful year.

“They allow you to get a leg up on your offense and your defense,” Coach Jonathan Ladd said. “If you don’t have that, you start week one and you’re just going to see sloppy ball.”

Football is one of the most dangerous sports a kid can play with is being a full contact sport. But there is a solution to this, as UIL has implemented rules on what a player can and cannot do. The organization limits how much contact players can do on certain days during two a day practices.

All of these rules and regulations are for the players of the game. The coaches try to make practices as fun as possible so that the student athletes can enjoy the game they love so much. “Nowadays, there’s a lot about player safety, which is good,” Coach Jacob Juneau said. “It’s good for the game, and the more we focus on that is always going to better the game.”