Panthers Prepare,Progress

Panther Maker Summer Camp

September 6, 2019

Summertime is when people take vacations, step away from their jobs and schoolwork, and relax day-in and day-out. However, this wasn’t the case for the seventh grade through senior athletes of Spring Hill High School who attended Panther Maker. From June 3rd to August 1st, 2019,  student-athletes trained at the Spring Hill High School Athletic Complex with their teammates focusing on explosive, ground-based, and multi-joint movements to prepare for the current football and volleyball seasons and the later sports to come.

Photographer: Amy Blalock
Panther athletes endure the summer heat to make gains in August at Panther Stadium.

“I think that I have improved, the entire team has,” football player Brian Vaca said. “Panther Maker made me ready for the new season, for smoother practices, and for wins to bring home.”

Football isn’t the only in-season sport using the workouts from Panther Maker to their advantage. Volleyball is in full swing and the girls on the court already feel a difference in their strength and speed.

“Panther Maker made me hit harder and block quicker,” Varsity volleyball player Rachel Petree said. “I know that Panther Maker made me better in the sense that I am more capable, and I feel like I can communicate better with my team.”

Communication is a big thing in Varsity-level sports, but talking doesn’t only happen on the court and field, it happens on the track as well.

“Track isn’t until the spring,” Varsity track runner Tai Reid said. “However, that doesn’t mean that I’m not ready to run. Panther Maker has allowed me to lift heavier and sprint faster, and I already see better attitudes and better communication between the girls who run too.

Lady Panthers and the Boys Athletic program are ready to dominate in sports this year. Early morning practices were held so the athletes could get a jump start.“Other kids were sleeping in late and not really working out, football player Brian Vaca said. “I put in a lot of hard work though, and I know that it will pay off.”