Seniors get Ready to Graduate

Story by: Bailey Ratcliff, Staff Writer

As time dwindles down and the 2018-2019 school year comes to a close, for a group of 100+ young men and women, their childhood and years of adolescence comes to an end and a new chapter of their lives begins. May 24, 2019 at 7 P.M. at the Letourneau University Belcher Center, the graduating Class of 2019 will be awarded diplomas, signifying completion of the State of Texas’ mandatory skills necessary for High School Graduation. This years class has exceeded the minimum requirements by earning endorsements, AP and Dual credits and career readiness certifications. “98% of the Class of 2019 will be graduating with endorsements” Counselor Paige Childers said “exceeding the minimum requirements by the state.” “The dropout rate for the Class of 2019 is 0%,” she added, “Many have switched schools, moved, or are being homeschooled, but none have dropped out completely.” School is not the only thing that has prepared the Class of 2019 for their futures. Students have participated in activities outside of their normal school education, learning skills at an early age that helped them in the later years and will continue to affect their futures. “I’ve been a boy scout since I was seven,” Senior Blake Everett said “it’s taught me leadership training, teamwork, and communication skills that I feel will benefit me in college and the future.”

In addition to activities like Girl and Boy Scouts, this year’s graduating class also actively participated in sports at an early age, building lifelong skills, helping them in their futures. “I played baseball for 10 years,” Senior Brandt Varnell said “It helped me with teamwork and communication skills early on. Then I played baseball when I got older so I had the foundation. Baseball impacted me tremendously and I don’t know where I’d be today if I didn’t start so young.”
As the year comes to an end, the Class of 2019 prepares themselves for the Senior traditions they have been watching their older classmates participate in throughout the years. “Some of the events coming up are Senior Celebration, the announcing of Senior Superlatives, Senior Walk and then graduation May 24th” Senior Alex Caron said “I’m most excited for Senior Celebration because it perfectly showcases the development of our journey from freshman to senior year and captures what our high school experience was like.”

These future events mark the end of years of mandatory schooling, overall providing a bitter-sweet ending to one chapter and the beginning of something new.
“I’m sad to see high school ending,” Alex Caron said “but I can’t wait to see what the future holds after high school is over.”