Jakob Zaricor uses a cell phone to collect data for the programer

Amy Blalock

Robotics Team Headed to Austin

First Tech Challenge competition to be held on April 4-5

April 4, 2019

The efforts of Mrs. Debby Bass and her team of 6 competitors have remained constant this year, even though many schools in the district have abandoned the program. Qualifying matches were canceled this year due to lack of participation, providing the Panther Robotics team with a shoo-in to the FTC  state qualifying meet in  Tyler on Thursday, April, 4th.

The robotics competition is divided into 2 events: the programming division, which focuses on the contestant’s ability to actually program the robot to do certain functions on command with no driver; the driving division, which tests the contestant’s ability to manipulate the functionalities on the robot using controllers as well as program function.

Jayden Tipton is currently the sole competitor from Spring Hill in the FTC state robotics programming division. Fellow programmer, Dallan Palmer had other commitments that are keeping him from participating. 

“I am  disappointed I can’t participate, but I have every confidence in Jayden,” sophomore Dallan Palmer said, “It is all about letting the robot do its thing.”

Though the pressure of this may seem overwhelming, Mrs. Bass has prepared Jayden well to be a major competitor at this event. The competitors competing in the driving division are: David Cook, Madison Cook, Austin Jones, Kaleb Saxon and Jacob Zaricor.

Amy Blalock
Dallan Palmer uses data from the controller to tweak the input for the bot.

“My favorite part of robotics is definitely building the bot,” said Sophomore Jacob Zaricor, “putting it together, seeing it through to completion and making improvements along the way is really satisfying.”

Robotics is certainly a class to consider as all students participating seem to be passionate about their role on the team. The team departs today for competition, being sent off in Panther fashion with a Pep Rally style send-off from the student body. Good Luch Robotics! 

The Panther’s Paw • Copyright 2019 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in