Stop the Bleed

Panthers are prepared in the event of an emergency thanks to local EMS partnerships

UT-medic-presents-Google-slide-to-Mrs.-Bordens-class-which-shows-certain-steps-on-compression
Back to Article
Back to Article

Stop the Bleed

Lilian Speicher

Lilian Speicher

Lilian Speicher

Lillian Speicher, Staff writer

On Tuesday, January 15, 2019 a presentation was used to inform Ms. Borden’s medical terminology classes how to “Stop The Bleed”. The UT Tyler health medical team used a variety of different methods to explain and demonstrate how to limit bleeding and efficiently stop an outflow of blood which could result in the death of the victim. The health team used a presentation to help explain how to correctly “Stop The Bleed”!!   

Irianna Powell is a Sophomore at Spring Hill High School. She explains some information that she learned : “ I learned that a tourniquet should be placed 2 to 3 inches (ca. 8 cm) above the open wound, and that it should be on for no longer than 2 hours. Yes the information provided would be very beneficial to saving someone’s life. The difference between applying pressure to the wound, and packing it with gauze could make a world of a difference. Something that was interesting was learning that the first responders (EMS/ medical team) won’t arrive until the police declare the scene safe.”

There are very specific things you can do to save a person’s life. For example, through the school shootings that have happened in the recent years, hospital say that 35% of patients who die in the first 24 hours is caused because they lose too much blood on the sight of the accident. If not taught properly clogging an artery could be a large risk and possibly kill the victim. One of the main things regarding saving a life is compression. Through compression, the bleeding is limited and can be slowed. And constant pressure will immediately limit squirting and constant flow.    

Faith Jordan a junior at Spring Hill describes what she found interesting at “Stop The Bleed” She said “hearing about the scenarios the paramedics are in, in the ambulance. The information I learned would be helpful in saving a person’s life who is bleeding out. I learned how to prevent too much blood loss through applying pressure and stuffing the wound with gauze.”     

Through excessive amount of blood loss a person  

Lilian Speicher
Felicity-Jacob-11th-Madison-Richardson-11th-Joseph-Simpson-9th-Kaden-Stellers-9th-Devin-Sanchez-9th-Dominic-Arme-11th participate in learning safety techniques

Maylea Malloy also a Sophomore at Spring Hill High School found the information from the Stop the bleed “quite interesting” as she talks about what she learned she states “It made me realize that those types of thing happen and I could come across it at some point in my life and now I’ll know what to do instead of being clueless. It would be useful in real life because these things happen all the time and you might stumble upon a situation where you could help save a life. I learned what to in an emergency that I come across whether someone is stabbed, cut, shot, etc. And what minor things that I can do before the medical professionals arrive. Your help is what could be in the end what saved someone’s life.”

Saving someone’s life can be a huge deal opposed to watching them bleed out on the concrete. The thread of loosing someone’s life could be dependent on the small effort you put forward to stop an open wound from contentiously bleeding. Serious bleeding could be courteously flowing and could be squirting. This type of bleeding could happen when someone has lost a limb through an accident or explosion.      

Now Panthers are prepared.