Panther’s Resolutions

The students and staff of SHISD are making resolutions in preparation for the new year.

Hope+Haney%2C+junior%2C+smiles+as+she+thinks+of+her+New+Year%27s+Resolution.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Panther’s Resolutions

Hope Haney, junior, smiles as she thinks of her New Year's Resolution.

Kirstin Saha

Kirstin Saha

Kirstin Saha

New Year’s Resolutions. Everyone makes them and most try to follow through with them, but about eighty-eight percent fail to succeed. However, depending on the person, some achieve their goals.

New Year’s Resolutions originated back in the Medieval Era when knights took the “peacock vow” at the end of the Christmas season. This strange holiday tradition consisted of the knights placing their bare hands on a live or roasted peacock to recommit themselves to chivalry.

“Almost every year, my goal is to drink less caffeine,” Bailey Ratcliff, staff writer for the Panther’s Paw, said, “But it’s hard to maintain that resolution.” Studies show that thirty-five percent of people fail to achieve their goal because they set unrealistic plans for themselves.

“My New Year’s Resolution is to workout more,” Adrian Rodriguez, sophomore, states, “So I can build more muscle and be prepared for the upcoming Cross Country season.” The most popular goal is to improve physical well-being, but this isn’t the only resolution that people make.  

“I want to stop procrastinating as we move into the new year,” Hope Haney, junior, said. “It will give me more free time and my grades will increase.” Although this isn’t a common goal among high schoolers, it’s still on the charts.

A common resolution among teachers is for their students to improve academically.“As the year comes to a close, I want to make sure all of my students are prepared for their futures,” Danielle Tyler, World History and Psychology teacher at SHHS, states.”I want them to be successful in life as they graduate from high school.”

“New Year’s Resolutions seem easy in theory,” Paige Childers, SHHS counselor, said, “But it’s very hard to balance a new lifestyle on top of a new year.”