The Panther's Paw

Panthers Protect Themselves Against Diabetes

KIRSTIN SAHA, staff writer

When one hears the word “diabetes” they may think of their great-aunt who eats too much chocolate cake, but diabetes isn’t limited to a certain group of people. 1.25 million Americans live with Type One Diabetes; 5 million are expected to have it by 2050.

Type One Diabetes is an autoimmune disease in which insulin-producing beta cells in the pancreas are mistakenly destroyed by the body’s immune system. People with T1D are dependent on insulin injections or pumps to survive.  T1D can be diagnosed early in life and its causes are not fully known. Type Two Diabetes is a metabolic disorder in which a person’s body still produces insulin but is unable to use it effectively. T2D is diagnosed later in life and can be managed with a healthy diet and exercise. However, more serious cases may require insulin therapy.

Contrary to popular belief, children with diabetes can still eat sweets. Unless they have food allergies or intolerances, kids with diabetes can eat the same things everyone else can as long as they have enough insulin. When schools plan ahead, they are ensuring that the children with diabetes can be included in any special activities. Another “myth” about people with diabetes is that insulin cures them. Insulin is only a temporary solution, without this treatment, people with T1D would die. There are many symptoms to tell if you or someone you know may have diabetes. Unexplained weight loss, dry mouth increased thirst, and itchy or dry skin are just some of many examples.

Millions of people are impacted by diabetes in their everyday life. By taking care of yourself and checking for any symptoms you are ensuring your health. Remember, diabetes doesn’t discriminate whose life it changes, make sure it isn’t yours by eating healthy and exercising.