The Panther's Paw

Who are You BETin’ On?

As we "Cruz" into the mid-term elections, who will you choose?

Candidates for US Senate- Texas

Candidates for US Senate- Texas

associated press

associated press

Candidates for US Senate- Texas

Voting for the election of Texas senator is in full-force which means the Republican and Democrat nominees for Texas senator, Ted Cruz, and Robert “Beto” O’Rourke are holding rallies all across the state. On October 25, the two men traveled to Longview to try and influence voters and non-voters alike.

O’Rourke’s rally was at 11:30 AM but did not stop the crowd from filing into the Longview Community Center downtown. It was reported that over 400 people were at the event which began with Hank Woji, a singer/songwriter from Terlingua, Texas singing a song he wrote entitled, “A Chance to Succeed (We’re Bettin’ On Beto)”. Shortly after, O’Rourke was welcomed onto the stage by a thunderous applause and began to deliver his speech. In this speech, O’Rourke showed his support for Dreamers (DACA recipients). “Those dreamers are just as American as anyone else in this country,” O’Rourke claimed. His controversial and highly contested positions did not stop there, as O’Rourke began speaking about his belief that Veterans should have housing after they are no longer serving for our country. “I want them to be at their best now that they are back in their communities, in civilian life.” O’Rourke continued his speech by proclaiming his support of teachers in Texas having a living wage. “Given the fact that they have the most important job in our community for the future of community… We need to have their backs in giving them a living wage.” This is a stance that I am sure, many people can agree with on this campus. After his speech, O’Rourke began talking to his supporters about the urgency to vote in what Beto says is, “The biggest election in our lifetime.”

A few hours after the O’Rourke rally, Senator Ted Cruz stood before East Texans at the Longview Exhibit Center and delivered a speech that was very different than O’Rourke’s. Cruz used a very appealing tactic to speak to his supporters by pointing out the vast differences between his platform and that of O’Rourke’s.  “Millions of Texans are hurting because of Obamacare. It has made health premiums go up,” Cruz stated. “So where is Beto on this? He has voted in favor of Obamacare 67 times!” This was Cruz’s main tactic of engaging with his audience as he continued to talk about other important issues to him, such as gun control, tax rates and most notably, illegal immigration. “On the other side, Beto opposes a wall. Not only that, he says we have too many border fences and walls already,” Cruz emphatically said to his riled up crowd. Cruz concluded his rally, like O’Rourke, urging people to vote in the mid-term election and encouraged them to donate to his campaign.

Many of you on this campus, whether you be a teacher or a student have gone out and participated in early-voting, but I encourage the ones of you that have not, to vote tomorrow. I am not writing this to tell you whether you should vote for Beto O’Rourke or Ted Cruz,  but I am simply trying to encourage you to exercise your right to vote. Listen to the issues on both sides, take into account YOUR personal interests and beliefs, not your parents’ or your friends’ beliefs, and go out tomorrow and vote. Your vote does matter and now is your chance to have your voice heard.

About the Writer
Brandt Varnell, Sports Editor

Name: Brandt Varnell

Grade and Graduating Year: Senior, 2019

Position on Paper: Sports Editor

Year's on Staff: 2

Hobbies: Watching, talking,...