The Panther's Paw

Run Like a Monster

Leaders Core promotes stewardship and service to the community

Wet+and+weary+can%27t+stop+a+Panther.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Run Like a Monster

Wet and weary can't stop a Panther.

Wet and weary can't stop a Panther.

Mrs. Jones

Wet and weary can't stop a Panther.

Mrs. Jones

Mrs. Jones

Wet and weary can't stop a Panther.

Logan McElvey, Photo Editor

Since 2010, Longview’s Junior League has hosted the Monster Dash, a race where runners dress up in costumes for Halloween and run either a 10K or a 5K. While there are the prizes for winning the races, there are also prizes given out for the best overall costume, best kids’ costume, best partner costume, and most spirited group.

In 2017, the Junior League sent 200+ trained and willing volunteers to help out the event. This year, the count total for runners is expected around 300. While it does cost a small fee, the proceeds go to their operating budget in order to support organizations that focus on education, poverty relief and prevention, healthcare, children, and many more. The Junior League has a bit of history, having been organized in 1940. The group has donated more than $3 million and nearly 500,000 volunteer hours over the years.

“We appreciate the support and the highlighting of our community,” says chair member Taryn Macintyre, “[the Monster Dash] incorporates a day full of family fun.” Not only is there the Dash Saturday morning, but wearing your bib (from the race) will get you $2 off your admission fee at the local museum as well as $10 off at the Music Festival Saturday night. Our very own XC team ran the Dash, the leaders core taking apart of it as well, challenging the SH students to take action in the event as well.

With the rain, The Junior League was worried about how that would impact the runners, but Macintyre stated, “we had 183 timed runners on Saturday. We had 300 registrations between runners/walkers/sleep in supporters, so we are glad the turnout even with the early morning downpours!” She went on to comment that she was ecstatic over the amount of support that was shown for the League and couldn’t help but notice all of the thought out costumes.

Spring Hill Panthers showed up to support the League’s efforts. Mrs. Jordan and Mrs. Kincy, along with Leader’s Core, challenged SHHS to show up, dress up, and speed up for the event. Z-Club buzzed in decked out as busy bees to join in the support. Leader’s Core emulated Toy Story with every character from T-Rex to Woody. Our registrar, Mrs. Jeanie, and Mrs. Blalock, journalism adviser, both ran for the cause and showed up in the shower to support school spirit.