• October 8Comment on Tech Trends for a chance to win $10 in VBucks

The Panther's Paw

Homecoming Spirit Week

ALEX CARON, Staff Reporter

To many schools in the United States, homecoming week and the homecoming football game are two of the most important events of the year. Homecoming traditions are unique to each school and region. Some schools hold dances, gift mums, assemble parades, have dress up days, TP houses, hold special competitions, and have pep rallies as part of the homecoming festivities.

Here at Spring Hill, we do not hold an annual dance or TP houses. However, we do participate in dress up days; part of our spirit week. Our cheerleaders came together and collectively decided that Monday was Meme Day, Tuesday was Sports/Jersey day, Wednesday was Pajama Day, and Thursday was Alien/Space Day. To finish off the week, Friday was Spirit Day, a day dedicated to dressing up in Spring Hill colors, painting up, and showing pride for our school. Participating in these school events is not only fun but shows pride in your school and can be an enjoyable bonding activity for students.

When asked what she thought of the dress up days, Mrs. Drueckhammer said,”It’s a break from the routine and something fun to look forward to.” She participated in every single day and wore costumes featuring tea-sipping Kermit, a Texas Tech shirt and an alien headband. Bailey Ratcliff, on the other hand, did not dress up for a single spirit day and stated “It wasn’t very publicized and I don’t own clothes for the days. I also don’t really enjoy participating in spirit activities.” Another person who didn’t dress up said that they would be more likely to participate if  she ”liked the themes for the dress up days.” She feels like many of them are hard/pointless and she feels awkward dressing up.

In my opinion, the dress up days display a larger trend at Spring Hill: the lack of school spirit. Spring Hill lacks the spirit and traditions of many other schools in the area and in the United States. The few school spirit activities that we host only have mild success. People leave pep rallies early, we don’t have a homecoming dance, and students don’t participate in dress up days. Although the pack had a decent turnout at the beginning of the season, the support and spirit has waned. We are in desperate need of a rejuvenation of school spirit. As a senior who has lived in two different school districts, I have a good perspective on what true school spirit looks like. While many influential members of the Spring Hill community, such as Superintendent Snell and Athletic Director Mercer, are attempting to lay the foundation of school spirit here at Spring Hill, it is the student that needs to buy into the idea of school pride.