The Panther's Paw

Filed under Perspectives

Help Recycle

Recycling is a process that creates new items from old and used materials.Just as the prefix “re”
suggests, to do again, the product is cycled through a process to be made new again. Sometimes
it is the same thing, sometimes it is repurposed into something new. Recycling has many
benefits, some of them are: creating jobs, conservation of natural resources, and it prevents
pollution.
One benefit of recycling is that is creates jobs. According to the United States Environmental
Protection Agency, as of August 1, 2018 recycling has created 757,000 jobs, 36.6 billion in
wages, and 6.7 billion in tax revenues. This has led to 1,000 tons of materials recycled.
In addition, a benefit of recycling is that the process saves numerous natural resources including
timber, water, and minerals. Used materials are converted to new products, lessening our needs
to get new ones from Earth.
Lastly, recycling prevents pollution because it takes solid waste products and makes them into
new products. Within recycling, less waste ends up on the ground or in landfills, thus reducing
pollution.
There are countless other benefits besides the fact that it creates jobs, conservation of natural
resources, and prevention of pollution. Spring Hill ISD understands the value of being good
stewards of the Earth’s resources. Leader’s Core has provided each classroom with recycle bins
designated for paper and plastic waste. Students in the organization collect the materials weekly
to be of service not only to the school, but to the community at large. We appreciate the efforts
of the Leader’s Core in keeping Spring Hill and Mother Earth clean and environmentally
friendly.