The Panther's Paw

The Sleeping Problem

Jordan Attaway, staff writer

I fall asleep in class. I know, it’s wrong. But, am I the only one? And why does this happen? I set out to find the answers. First of all, if a student is not contributing to the conversation, they lose focus and many literally go to sleep. There are other triggers for sleeping during lessons, such as eating a large meal immediately before the lesson, poor ventilation in the classroom, and tired students.

Do you ever wonder if your phone keeps you from getting sleep? My research shows the answer is Yes! Social media and games stimulate the brain,  preventing it from shutting off and letting you get the rest you need. When I interviewed students, the consensus was that instead of going to bed around 9:00 or 9:30, they decide to play games, watch YouTube, or text friends on social media, rather than getting sleep for school the next day.

Are after-school activities and homework interfering with student’s rest?

After several interviews, I found that students with after school activities don’t seem to get much sleep. The reason is, they stay after school for a period of time, which interferes with any downtime or recreation. Everyone needs time to relax and unwind. It’s not bad to have after school activities, it’s just that when you get home, eat, do chores, and do homework, it is Midnight.

So, why do you fall asleep? It is a variety of things: boredom, lack of ventilation, distractions. But, I discovered the main cause is that teens need 8-10 hours of sleep a night. That means, that to get up at 7:30 for 8:30am class, you should be not only in bed, but asleep, by 9:30. Really? That just isn’t possible for me, but I am going to make a conscious effort to get to bed earlier. What do you do to get enough rest? We would love to see your comments below.