The Panther's Paw

The Hard Work of Twirlers and Flag Core

“I love to perform and show my talents and what I’ve worked so hard for.””

— - Abby Wallace

What is it like to be a twirler? Everyone thinks that this must be easy, but there is a lot of hard work and meaning involved. It is not just knowing how to catch a baton; there are a lot of things you must go through in order to be a twirler or a flag leader. To be a twirler, you must remember routines and work very hard to keep up. Not only do they practice daily, but they also have to keep up with their band obligations as well. They must march, play, go to other band practices and pass off their music to the band director. You must be in Band in order to be a twirler or flag member because you have to know the counts and how to march. The lines represent the band in a special way.

“Everyone in the band is joined- we are all like brothers and sister-  we are like a big family. We help and take care of each other, “ Gracie Sist insisted when asked about the Brigade. Me, personally, I have performed in front of people before in choir.  I am used to be being in the front or as some call it, “spotlight.” But, these girls work so hard to remember all of their routines for twirlers/flags AND band. I don’t think that I would be able to keep up with all of the responsibilities. I have a newfound respect for these artists.

Twirlers and flags have two practices a week that last an hour on Mondays and Wednesdays at 6:30 am. Plus, they still have to practice at home. They also have a week-long camp during summer that teaches them four routines. That’s not all. Before school starts, they have a few practices to keep memory work up. During marching season, they have 2-3 practices every week. To be able to perform, each girl must pass all of their routine tests and keep up with grades. They also have to go to band lessons, march and play their notes correctly, and do it all with a smile. Not easy. Gracie Sist insisted that it is worth it.  “I would recommend to anyone who still has a shot to be in band-DO IT! We have some of the best directors.”

When freshman come into the high school band they are assigned a senior who will take them to practices if needed, help them with marching, and teach them things that they need to know about the band. They also take trips every 2 years, Plus, every 4 years the whole band goes on a trip to Disney World. That alone is reason enough to consider.

Before this assignment,  I personally thought this organization was just about throwing a baton in the air and catching it.  But it is more than that. These Panthers work so hard to get where they are and stay on the line. I love to see them perform at pep rallies and on the field. They just make everything more exciting! I sometimes see the twirlers running to class sweating. Now I realize it is because of everything they have to keep up with on the daily. We should appreciate them more for their hard work because they do a very good job. As for me, I see them in a new light. Thanks, girls for all you do.